Tuesday, November 4, 2014

It will all work out; it will be ok.

What a day!
I started off by voting. This was probably the longest ballot I've ever voted on. Last night my family sat around and went through it with the League of Women Voters guide, and it took well over an hour to figure out who to vote for in each race which judges to retain (well, that was easier--all of them, following the recommendation of the judicial review website my husband found), 5 constitutional amendments, and then the bond issues. By the end I felt like, "Borrow all the money! I don't care any more; just don't make me read any more 4-pt. type!" Then I went to the polling place this morning and they gave me something I didn't expect--a flair felt-tipped pen. I had to fill in all 742 bubbles again. Whew! Even copying the bubbles felt like a lot of work.

After that I got a nice long visit in with my dad and stepmom. They're in town for a conference, and I sat and visited with them for several hours and had a lovely time. I had a meeting at 5:30, and I had to meet my daughter at 5 to give her a notebook she'd left home, but I figured I had just enough time to get from place to place. I had left my phone at home, but I knew where I needed to be and when I needed to be there, so everything would be fine.

Well, here's where the hard part begins. I drove to the theater to meet my daughter, but she wasn't there. I waited, and she still didn't show up. Finally it was 5:25, so I left and was only 10 minutes or so late to my meeting. Thank heavens, the interpreters hadn't left, because without my phone I couldn't let them know I was on my way.

The meeting was good, but chaotic and a bit overwhelming. The conference we're planning is next week, so all the last-minute details are coming up. It will all work out; it will all be ok. I noticed when I booted up my computer that I had an extremely large number of unread emails (because, of course, I didn't have my phone or my computer all afternoon). We got through the meeting with, of course, a long list of things for each person to do. (It will all work out; it will be ok). I stopped at the theater on my way home to give my daughter her notebook, and this time she was there (in the middle of a rehearsal, but I tried to be discreet).

At home, I finally started going through my email. Turns out I had left a half-set-up appointment with a student at 5:00 that I didn't know she'd accepted and I'd forgotten about. (Really, it will all work out; it will be ok.) Then a presenter at the conference emailed me to tell me she hadn't gotten the message her paper had been accepted. What!? I hope she can still do it, because hers was one of the talks I was hoping to go to. (It will.)

Hard day, but: my daughter gave me a hug and my student graciously agreed to reschedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment